18 July, 2011

Progress

Vinyl parquetry floor, and drapes aside, we are now within two Ikea Malm drawer units of completing my bedroom.  Woo hoo.  All without a great amount of preamble or effort.  Double whooping.

Today Pat Sparks installed my new light feature:  I LOVE IT.  And (apart from the VPF) it is the finishing touch to the revamped "former study nook".  To refresh the memory:

Before:
There are no words, really.  But note the flouro light.
After:
The light fitting, a single "Cluster", was sourced from About Space,
a place I used to be enormously enthusiastic about, but now,
after a most frustrating experience with a staff member who was having a very bad day,
find myself a little soured.

Now the bonus part of Pat's visit was he was able to explain why my very expensive 60 watt retro globes aren't bright.  

Expensive retro-style bulbs - note the length of the filament.


Sparing you the rigours of tilting your head up to look at the halogen bulb
most likely  illuminating your immediate environs.

See how the filament of the retro style bulb is really really long?  Well the 60W of power are spread over that extended distance, rather than being concentrated as it is in the normal style bulb.  Therefore the light appears dim, even though it uses the same amount of energy.  

So beware people purchasing fancy schmancy light fittings and bulbs - you may end up eating dinner in the half-light.

After Pat left we went to Ikea to get new bulbs for the family room lights, since we were now in the know about their dimness.  Whilst there we found that the Malm drawers I need for my bedroom, and which were reported online as being out of stock, were indeed available.  So we bought three.  

Hence the two drawers away from completion comment.  Of the three I have put together one.  Two boxes are mocking me from the far corner of the room.

But they can wait, until tomorrow.  After, that is, after I take my car to be repaired.  Dad accidentally got too close when backing out the driveway on Friday. He broke off the passenger side mirror and imprinted a small dent in the door which I'm pretending isn't there. The morning was foggy, my car is silver, I'd parked in a unexpected position - a recipe for a ding.  And behold it was so.

No comments:

Post a Comment