08 April, 2011

Factors.

Factors have been at play at the House at Porter Street, impacting on progress toward visualising the dream.  The most positive of these factors has been designing a few logos and business cards for folk.  It is good to have the work.  


We also had two adult visitors for a week and I'm pleased to report that the floorplan stood up well to the addition.  It would've been nice to have an extra downstairs bathroom, but hey,  wouldn't it always.


Visitors left on Wednesday afternoon, so yesterday we climbed tentatively back onto the activity horse.  I was overjoyed to inadvertently stumble on my Red Box of Adhesives as I was actually looking for a Box of Adornments in order to decorate Milo's Easter Bonnet.  Easter?  Yes, you heard right. The door on Term 1 closes today, and on Tuesday Milo was sent home from kinder with "Homework for Mummy":  turn a magnificent Milo creation into a stupendous hat for the Easter Parade to be held end of session today.


I never found the box I sought, but Yiayia came through with a couple of ribbons and we were away...







As long as he marches without moving his head, it will stay on.  Will have to make sure the teachers strap it on good and tight.  


Aunty Mad made me an Easter bonnet when I was in Grade 3, constructed from a Chinese food takeaway container, a cake tray, some red cellophane and a bit of silver belt.  It was crap and we both knew it.  But neither of us said anything because she did her best.


Mum also finished painting my workspace shelves yesterday.  Of course they're dry but I'm probably going to have to wait until Sunday to start setting up the space because Ma's paranoid about my putting stuff on the shelves before the paint has cured (!).


We went to Beaumont Tiles to look at tiles for kitchen splashback and flooring solutions for kitchen and my bedroom.  Mum decided I had to redo my whole floor because of the mess under the shelves where the desk was removed.  The quote we got for the room (5.25m x 4.3m) was around $1100 for floating laminated floor, underlay and labour.  Let me make this quite plain.  


JUST NOW, I DO NOT WANT, NOR DO I HAVE THE READIES, TO SPEND MORE THAN A K ON THE FLOOR. (I'd rather replace the peach vinyl blind, truth be told, but that's not happening either.)


We also might not be able to extend our budget to glass tiles for the kitchen splashback, but before we can settle, Mum and I have to come to some sort of agreement about what we like.  Currently we are at odds.  I find Mum's aesthetic rigid, somewhat stifled and restrictive and yesterday told her so.  She took the news remarkably well.


Also


The gutter outside Mum's upper has had ENOUGH of our house and decided to leave.




So Max Gutters will be attending next week to remedy with Shane Fixit, who will also undertake some other maintenance, like trying to resolve the mystery of the cold water tap for biggest bath which has suddenly and spontaneously stopped working - and it isn't the washer.)


Also


Mum found a light over the kitchen sink yesterday.  Very handy.

3 comments:

  1. For great flooring at really good prices, go to Western Distributors in Sunshine (I know you have no idea where that is, but take the handy Northern Ring Road, follow it to the Western Ring Road and it's right there, just moments past The Ship). I might sound like an advert but I've used them for the unit and the ship and they're fantastic. Short runs, discontinued lines, seconds (that you can't tell are seconds)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ace! Needed the tip. Thank you Skypiglet.

    ReplyDelete