15 January, 2011

A chandelier in my bedroom

Greedy wardrobe doors
eat into the precious
floorspace.
And have you ever seen
anything sadder than 
that straggly, dangling jewel?
My decorating style is without doubt eclectic. But of all the elements that make up the mix, there isn't the merest trace of the shabby chic as suggested by a chandelier, and parquetry floors.  

That said, I've been pondering the possibilities for my bedroom as an ideal, and as a reality.  

Ideally, I like books in my room.  I favour the presence of a bed (joke).  I like a standard lamp to read by (so it doesn't take up precious bedside table space).  I want a tv.  I need lots of display space for  picture frames and precious things.  Clothes must be self-folding and invisible (dreaming).  And although I like timber floorboards, I think I'd like a cozy rug to dig my toes into when I roll out of bed...


The only ensemble is the bedding.  
Nothing else is to match.


The flouro light.
The built-in desk.
(The horror.)
The house at Porter Street poses some challenges:
  • the chandelier 
  • the wardrobe doors
  • the built in desk
  • the floors
I don't know what colour they call that apricot-tinged muck they currently have on the walls, but before we move in, that's going to be eradicated by a healthy coating or two of Dulux White on White.

The west facing window is opposite the wardrobe and overlooks the the many many pine and fir trees in the garden (who don't yet know that their days are numbered).

At this moment I can't project exactly how this room is going to be altered, but I can promise it will to be unrecognisable when I've finished with it.  Watch this space...

19 days to settlement...


No comments:

Post a Comment