28 January, 2011

Ikea and Me.

Without even stopping to think, I can confidently state that every room of my house contains items from the great Scandinavian flat-packer.  I have always appreciated the clean line, the clever design, the convenience and the price point.  


That all said, I must also say that in my book a huge interior decorating crime is to be too matchy matchy.  To replicate a showroom in your home by sourcing eveything from the one place. And that includes Ikea. 


I take comfort in the knowledge I could never be accused of such a transgression.


It is with this thought in mind, however, that I ponder the issue of my bed.  I bought my bed from friend Charlie in early 1993.  It's probably, now, about 90 - 100 years old.  


Lovely old bed, lovely old teddy, 
precious precious photo (limited edition) by Astrid Kirschherr
of the Beatles in Hamburg 1963.
The red muscling in on the right is Ikea.
Now it would never ever occur to me to replace it except that the rigours and vigour of a bouncing two, then three, then four year old have caused the springs in the spring base to break and spring off - ping!  Consequently the mattress is beginning to sag.

My heart is breaking but so is my back.  Do I replace my character-filled spine cracker with a benign and supportive slat bed like this?
Malm Double A$249
Thoughts?



2 comments:

  1. Are they the only choices? I really like this bed:

    http://www.contemporaryfurniture.com/furniture/bedroom/teak-scandinavian-platform-bed/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I LOVE that bed... But Buffalo NY is a little far. And $1295 might be a few too many dollars just now. But your point is taken. I need to look further and not settle...
    Thanks Kell xS

    ReplyDelete