17 January, 2011

Toying with colour.

I'm putting together a brief for the painter.
We're going to maintain the vintage (1970s) character of the lounge area leaving untouched the brick and the timber and the glass (removing vertical blinds) and painting the walls and the ginormous bookcase next to the fireplace in Dulux "White on White".


The rest of the house doesn't demand making the same statement and could really benefit from some funking up.  We're going to paint out some of the timber, and a bit of the exposed brick but I'm wondering if it would be crazy to also inject a little bit of block colour.  


Feature walls just aren't my style, so I'm thinking of keeping the walls a blank canvas, but injecting some pops of colour into the doors at the back of the house.


I am an enormous fan of the work of Matte Stephens and am thinking of using his colour palette for the task:




Milo told me he would like his bedroom door to be red.  
The corridor door could be orange.
I think I would like my door to be green 
And the toilet door could be blue.

Is this idea playful.  Or just stupid?


Update 22/01/2011



Just found this magazine.  I like these colours even more.


6 comments:

  1. Have you ever been to a dinner party, asked the host for directions to the toilet and yet somehow managed to find yourself in a kid's bedroom? How much simpler would it be for the host to say "the toilet is behind the blue door". Herein lies the answer to your question. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're thinking the way I'm thinking, Kel. There are many many doors down that end of the house. And I'm also a huge fan of colour coding! Thank you for your feedback. Exactly what I wanted to hear. xS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paints easy. What is it? $50 or $60 and a couple of brushes and a Saturday. Paint it up I say, and if you don't like it by the middle of the week, just change it the following weekend.

    I like the doors idea too. If you don't want feature walls per se, you could also look at some other elements - hand rails etc.

    In Canberra we went for a white-on-white theme. We used Dulux 'Chine white'
    throughout but with the subtle tonal differences between the ceiling matt, satin walls, gloss window frames and pearlescent on the doors - it worked rather well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Al. Yes. We figured that every room (and every wall in every room) would carry the white differently and with the different textures too, it will give the rooms some interest without saying too much. Trying very hard to live in the moment, but it's hard to not wish the days away until we're in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too right Al. P.S. I lurv the colour palette.

    ReplyDelete