20 February, 2011

The uninvited house guest

Madness today.  I've gone completely bonkers.  Two more sleeps and then the truck comes.  And to make things just that little bit more interesting, at the last minute, I've organised for an old friend to come round and help us with the ripping out of the cabinet in the dining room, and the desk thingumy in my bedroom.  He's also going to do some painting and help us get ready for Tuesday's big push.  

I'm thrilled to have the help, but now a little hysterical, as I was planning to have the whole of tomorrow to finish the packing here.

Instead, I've been turfing things into boxes like a mad person all afternoon.  And I think I'm there really.  The joy of a house with no storage, is that once the portable furniture is emptied (or in our case, gone) it's just a case of getting the stuff into boxes.  And we have plenty of boxes.

So it's all good.  And I'm going to take a breath and calm down.

I also ventured into the garage this afternoon to retrieve the cat cages for cleaning.  While brushing off the cobwebs on the balcony, I came across this little lady.


I don't think I've ever seen a redback before in real life, close up like.  They're very  very stocky.  And very very black.  I realise now that I've found a male one (smaller with no red back, but similar vibe) in Milo's bed in the last couple of months. Scary really, although I'm doing my level best not to breed a phobia in Milo about them.  He has already, unaided and unencouraged, developed an unnatural fear of flies.

I let this one go at the bottom of the garden after a stern talking to about not coming back into the house.  And now I'm even more glad we're leaving.

2 comments:

  1. my dad educated me about red backs by playing me that funny song "red back on the toilet seat". it's kind of a funny song, but also gets the point across... maybe a good tactic for milo? :) you'll find it on youtube :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh jesus, Jess. I'm not playing any song to Milo about getting bitten on the bottom while on the bog. I'll never get him to the toilet again. He's such a sensitive little petal and he never forgets ANYTHING. I'm just glad he wasn't here when the spider was.

    ReplyDelete