01 February, 2011

The last time I ever pay rent...

...is a cause for great celebration, really.  Did you hear the happy hoot emanating from the Riverside this morning?  The transaction was done at 6.53am.  


Now, finally, in the book about housing, the renting chapter is over / finished / kaput / complete.  It has been brought to a close.


Woo hoo.


But herein lies the ethical dilemma.


Back in December we were notified that our rent was being increased by $19.62 a week, commencing 12 February 2011.  This is 12 days into the beginning of the rental period and 13 days before the end date.  When I asked the agent (a man of kindly disposition but few braincells) about the final adjusted rent payment, he gave me a figure which I quickly realised did not take into consideration the increase that applied for 13 days.  That is the figure he provided is $36.43 less than it should've been.


And I didn't say anything.  And I don't even care.  


I rationalise my thievery in the knowledge I forked out $40 for a stupid alarm battery to stop the stupid alarm beeping (it has a penchant for deciding it needs to be reset in the middle of the night) and that was a waste of money since the stupid thing still beeps.  And I'm paying $450 to have the house cleaned and steamed after we leave.  


So bugger it on this happy day.


Woo hoo.


Also, the painting quote came in.  We were a little alarmed.  It was in the vicinity of a third what we had been expecting (and included the cost of the paint - except for the coloured doors' paint which I hope to pick up today). 


Rather than doubt this company's skill and ability, we've chosen to believe instead that we had no clue when we plucked our estimated figure from our...um...hats.


Painting starts on Friday.


Woo hoo.


Two days to settlement.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful for you, Sophia. So happy for you! Lots love, Mia xo
    PS Mum back in hospital after another fall last week, in which she suffered a broken thumb. It's been pretty full on!

    ReplyDelete