21 March, 2011

Walter Garden has been

Today has been enormously eventful in and around the House at Porter Street.  Or maybe I'm just a nervous wreck.  God knows.


There has been, amongst other things, an early morning outing to the dental hospital, real fear of the loss of the boy Bongo, who hadn't been sighted for over 36 hours, the unexpected and extremely painful meeting of Milo's hip with the concrete driveway, and the excitement of a dear friend buying a long longed for and very much deserved first home.  And as the day ends, I am sat contemplating the gardens and what our vision for their resurrection might look like.  And after that, how it may be manifest.  


Walter Garden came today for the first time, and has been retained to curb our unruly growth, halt the disease and decay and finesse our vision into some sort of reality.  And then turn his hand to the garden - boom boom.


Our relationship was a little shaky at first.


Walter:  I love the pines and conifers.
Me:  D'you want them?


And I was seriously doubting if we could ever be on the same page.  But then I asked him what he thought about the bay tree (my feelings about which can be found here:  Chainsaw Anyone?) and his rapid fire "take the whole damn thing out" won me over straight away.  I know now there will be parry and thrust, but we can and will make our way to compromise.  So all is well.


Oh, except our lemon trees which are apparently diseased (gall wasp infestation) and require rather immediate and extreme pruning to save. 


You don't want this.
Image from gardenworld.net.au


I look forward to his next visit, next week, with tools.  And in the meantime I need to conjure up the grand vision.  Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment